Zoldan Law Group PLLC (480) 442-3410 Schedule a confidential consultation with an attorney now

Seattle Non-Payment and Withholding of Wages Lawyer

Working for a fair wage is one of your rights as an employee in the U.S. Federal and state laws protect your right to earn at least minimum wage, as well as overtime pay in certain situations. If an employer refuses to pay you, does not pay enough or withholds your wages, the company could face penalties for failing to comply with employment laws. As the employee impacted, you may be able to file a claim to obtain what is rightfully yours. Contact Zoldan Law Group PLLC to learn more during a consultation with one of our Seattle employment attorneys.

How Our Seattle Lawyers Can Help

  • We can use our in-depth knowledge of Washington and federal employment laws to help you resolve your case.
  • We can provide counsel as to the best legal action to take in your specific situation, such as filing a complaint or bringing a lawsuit.
  • We can represent you during settlement negotiations, mediation, arbitration or a civil lawsuit for missing wages in Seattle.
  • We can fight for fair results and compensation (if applicable) by advocating for your legal rights in the face of mistreatment in the workplace.

Laws Against the Failure to Pay Wages

Your employer has a legal responsibility to pay wages owed to you, according to multiple laws. The Revised Code of Washington section 49.12 states that employers must pay at least the applicable minimum wage rate to all covered employees. An employer must pay wages owed to an employee on an established payday. Payment intervals cannot be longer than one month apart. If federal law requires shorter payment intervals for certain employees, employers in Washington must comply. Employers must also pay overtime wages to all employees on the established payday for any hours worked in which the employee earned overtime pay. If an employer mails paychecks, the postmark date cannot be later than the payday.

On the federal level, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) upholds a national minimum wage. While it can change, this is $7.25 per hour as of 2020. The most recent minimum wage in Seattle, Washington is $12 per hour. Employers must pay the highest minimum wage. They must follow local and municipal minimum wages if they are higher than the national minimum wage and vice versa. The FLSA also has rules in place for paydays, pay periods, overtime, child labor and many other wage and labor issues.

The United States Department of Labor and the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries help protect employees’ rights to fair wages. If an employer engages in non-payment or the illegal withholding of wages, it is a misdemeanor under state law. It is also illegal under federal law. Either entity may be able to help you receive back pay and hold your employer accountable depending on the nature of the case. An employment lawyer from Zoldan Law Group PLLC can help you decide which entity to notify and where to bring your case for the best results.

Legal Options for Wronged Employees

If you believe your employer guilty of the failure to pay or withholding of wages, contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options. You have the right to demand the wages your employer promised. This includes at least minimum wage, as well as potential overtime pay and penalties or interest. In a case involving the willful withholding of wages, for instance, you have the right to file a claim for double the amount of the unpaid wages in Washington.

An attorney could help you file a claim with the correct authority in Seattle in the pursuit of lost wages. The Department of Labor and Industries, for example, has the power to penalize guilty employers and collect unpaid wages for you. Your lawyer could take your case to small claims court as well if the Department fails to collect fair compensation for you or your lawyer believes a civil claim would be in your best interest instead. Please contact us at (480) 442-3410 today to speak to a lawyer about your unpaid wages claim. You may be eligible for financial compensation.