Arizona Employment Law AttorneysRequest your consultation
Paid Sick-Leave Rights In Phoenix
Arizona has one of the most robust paid sick-leave laws in the nation. Not only can employees accrue paid sick leave; the law also prohibits employer retaliation against employees when they exercise their paid sick-time rights.
With offices in Scottsdale, Tempe, and Tucson, the employment law attorneys of The Zoldan Law Group PLLC are committed to protecting the sick-leave rights of employees throughout Arizona. If you believe your employer has denied your right to paid sick leave or retaliated against you for taking paid time off, contact our law firm today to arrange a confidential consultation. We can help.
Your Rights As An Employee
Nearly every employee in Arizona is entitled to accrued paid sick time. Here are some key points for employees to understand:
- You can accrue a minimum of one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked.
- If you work for an employer with fewer than 15 employees, you can accrue at least 24 hours of paid sick leave per year.
- If you work for an employer with 15 or more employees, you can accrue at least 40 hours of paid sick leave per year.
- The paid sick-time law applies to full-time, part-time, seasonal and temporary employees.
- Earned paid sick time can be carried over to the following year, although the amount of paid sick leave you can take in a single year is limited to 40 hours.
- Alternatively, your employer may pay you at the end of the year for any unused sick time that you have earned.
- Your paid sick time can be used for reasons other than illness. For example, you can take paid sick leave for regular medical appointments or for counseling.
- If another employer buys your employer’s company and you remain an employee there, you are still entitled to all paid sick time that you accrued while working for the previous employer.
- If there is a break in your employment but you are rehired by the same employer within nine months, any previously accrued paid sick time that you haven’t used must be reinstated.
The Zoldan Law Group PLLC also advises employers to help them comply with state and federal employment laws.
Contact An Experienced Scottsdale Employment Lawyer
If you have questions or concerns about paid sick leave or other wage and hour issues in Arizona, contact The Zoldan Law Group PLLC today to set up a consultation. We can be reached via email or by phone at (480) 442-3410. Our law firm fights to protect the rights of workers in the Phoenix area and throughout the state.